Fig Tree offers Jewish education classes throughout the school year, in a trimester format. Families can register their children for one, two, or all three trimesters; this flexibility to pick and choose trimesters allows families to prioritize their specific schedules throughout the school year.
Classes meet once per week, on Sundays or after-school during the school week, depending on location. Classes are held in classrooms that meet our specifications and requirements. See Locations for more information.
Each three-month trimester is made up of ten 55 minute classes. Because of the iterative nature of each semester, Fig Tree does not offer make-up classes. However, the schedule is carefully crafted to accommodate NYC public and independent school calendars, likely vacation schedules, and public/ religious holidays.
In order to maximize the 55 minutes we have together each week, we intentionally keep all classes small. We cap classes at 10-12 students, and- in some cases, depending on the student mix and their Hebrew levels- we cap classes at eight. We feel that small class sizes are critical to success.
The reverse is also true: in order to create a true community of learners (and, of course, in order to sustain each class financially and logistically) we require a minimum of five students in each class. Please see our Class Cancellation Policy for more information.
Core Fig Tree Classes
Fig Tree classes incorporate a Montessori style mixed-age approach to learning. To that end, we offer four mixed-age grade levels as follows:
- Pre-School: Children ages 3 and 4, and/ or in (or entering) Pre-K
- K/ 1: Children in (or entering) Kindergarten and 1st Grade
- 2/3: Children in (or entering) 2nd and 3rd grade
- 4/5: Children in (or entering) 4th and 5th grade
6th Grade and B'Nai Mitzvah Classes
- Fig Tree 6th Grade year is for, well, 6th graders.
- Our B'Nai Mitzvah year is designed for students entering 7th grade at the start of the school year.
Hebrew Language Classes
- Hebrew 1: 2nd - 6th grade
- Hebrew 2: 3rd - 7th grade
- Hebrew 3: 4th - 7th grade